You are the best thing, that’s ever been mine.
Wow, where do I even start?
It’s been way too long since I last made a food post.
I guess I’ll start with the most gorgeous thing I’ve ever made!
This is my first ever successful three-layered cake. All my other ones toppled over because I was too lazy to level the cake layers. (This is where a cake leveler would come in handy eh?) Or the frosting just wasn’t right and tasted gross. Regardless, my cake decorating skills definitely needs some work!
I was craving chocolate cake for the longest while, so I finally baked one! None of that commercial chocolate cake stuff for me, I bake my cakes.
This cake is comprised of three moist and rich chocolate cake layers filled with a fudge chocolate frosting. It is covered generously with a melt-in-your-mouth fluffy white frosting whipped from egg whites. The whole thing is then sprinkled from head to toe with semi-sweet chocolate shavings and topped with oreo cookies. Salivating yet? I know I am!
This cake took me about four hours to just DECORATE! Oh goodness, it was such a long process, but it was SO worth it in the end! I was so proud of myself The extra effort paid off.
I brought it to one of my many hangouts with my friends and they couldn’t believe I made it.
Here’s a recap of what happened. Or something like it, it’s been two months. My memory has a span of 2 mins.
*Cake was sliced and divided*
Me: So how is the cake you guys?
Someone: mmm, this cake is good.
J: Yea I like the frosting, it tastes like marshmellow.
Me: Ugh, that’s what I don’t like about it!
M: The cake is good, but the frosting is a little too sweet.
Me: Yea, I def gotta fix that. Never using this frosting again.
A: Why are u talking about this cake like you made it?
Me: Uh, I did.
A: What you made this?!
Me: Yes LOL
Best Thing I’ve Ever Made
Ingredients for the cake
1 batch of this cake
4 oreos, halved
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup + 1tbsp butter
1 1/3 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp milk (I used skim)
How-To for Frosting
1) Melt chocolate over heat, let it cool. Another way is to just melt it in the microwave for at 30 sec intervals. I find that whenever I use the stove top, my chocolate ends up really dry and chunky! (can anyone tell me why that happens?!)
2) Beat the butter in a separate bowl until smooth and creamy.
3) Add the icing sugar to the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
4) Now add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mixture and slowly incorporate the milk. Beat until you get a smooth and glossy texture.
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I left this out, how often do people have this at home anyway?!)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
How-To for Marshmellow Frosting
1) Put 6 tbsp of water and everything on the ingredient list except for the vanilla extract in a bowl over hot water.
2) Beat the mixture on HIGH for about 7 mins. (This step scared me because for the longest time my frosting wouldn’t come together, all I got was a giant bowl of thick caramel-coloured stuff. But I kept beating it on high and it fixed everything! Phew.) You know it’s ready when you end up with a white-coloured thick frosting, kinda like whipped cream but thicker.
3) Remove the bowl from heat, add vanilla then beat for another 2 minutes until glossy.
How-To : Cake assembly!
Now I’m no expert at this, but here are some of the steps to putting the cake together.