I’ve been craving to bake for a month now. Finally, yesterday I was able to come up from my sea of homework and tests and projects to bake some cookies! This recipe have been going around in the blog world a lot lately. What intrigued me the most was the size of these cookies! LOOK AT THEM! THEY’RE HUGE! I could barely hold one with my whole hand!
I’ve never been to Levain, nor have I ever heard of it til I came across this recipe. If I ever go New York (is that where it is?) though, I’m definitely hitting that place up! For one reason, I want to compare my cookie with the original. Oh, and of course to eat one! ;)
I made these in two batches. The difference in the two batches was just the amount of time they were refrigerated for. The first batch was refrigerated for an hour and the second batch was refrigerated overnight.
The first batch spread more and the second batch didn’t spread as much, producing a thicker cookie. Personally I liked the first batch better but my only reason behind that is because I like SEEING bigger cookies. We eat with our eyes too yenno? Otherwise, the two batches taste exactly the same and had the chewy same texture with crisp edges. Drools, sounds so perfect. I would’ve titled these PERFECT, because they taste that good, but I don’t like calling anything perfect. First off, it’s just my opinion, many others probably believe they have “the perfect” recipe as well. Secondly, I don’t know bout you, but when I see a superlative in front of a noun, I always get a sense of intrigue then doubt as to whether the noun really lives up the superlative or not. Then I would need to find ways to justify the superlative.
So if I called these perfect, I’m sure most of you would feel complied to bake these. Now we wouldn’t want that happening now do we?
Just kidding, go bake these now! They’re amazing! Even if you’re not the thick and chewy cookie type, these cookies are good to just look at!
Levain Chocolate Chip Cookie Mimic
adapted from Lovin’ In The Oven, who got it from My Baking Addiction
- 2 sticks (1cup) cold and cubed unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table or fine sea salt (I used table)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups good quality semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (I used 1.5 cups)
- just unter 1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mix in vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips/chunks and nuts.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll cookie dough into individual balls. Then slightly flatten them on the baking sheet with your fingers. I got 12 cookies from this recipe, though I probably could’ve gotten more if I didn’t eat all the dough.
- Place each on sheet pan and bake in the preheated oven 15-20 minutes depending on how you like your cookies, until very lightly browned, taking care not to overbake. Mine only took around 13 mins, then I left them on the baking sheet to bake them slightly more.
- Transfer and cool on rack and store what you don’t immediately eat in an airtight container.