Saturday morning and I woke up early at 830. It started out well, I had nesquik cereal and chocolate trufles for breakfast. Biggest plus: I didn’t have to go to work today! score!
Then this cake happened.
I was so excited last night, I was awaiting a moist and tall decadent cake. But that is not what happened.
ok i’ll stop torturing y’all now
1. Recipe called for 3/4 cups milk
What I did: added 1/4 + 2/3 c milk
what happened: rubbery, tougher cake, but tasty nonetheless
lesson learned: pay attention to which measuring cup you’re picking up
2. Recipe said to refrigerate pastry cream for about 2 hours in the fridge
what i did: put the cream outside (literally outside) for half an hour
where that got me: running cream and a lopsiding sliding cake
lesson learned: patience is key
3. Recipe said to bake cakes for 30-35 mins
what I did: baked them for 20 mins
where that got me: cake with really brown edges
lesson learned: recipes aren’t always accurate with their baking times
4. Recipe said to make pastry cream on stove top
what i did: i made in the microwave
where that got me: pastry cream explosion and a dirty microwave on top of the rest of the dishes, lucky me
lesson learned: keep an eye on your pastry cream when its in the oven!
Boston Cream Cake
source: Hershey’s Classics Cookbook
Ingredients: For the cake
1/3 c shortening (I used butter, shortening makes me cringe)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c milk (I used skim)
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. beat butter til creamy. add sugar, beat again. then add eggs beating after each addition. add vanilla.
3. whisk dry ingredients together and then add to butter mixture alternatively with milk.
4. pour into buttered and floured pans, bake 30-35 mins. (I baked mine for 20 mins)
Ingredients: (For pastry cream)
1/3 c sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 c milk (I used skim)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1. stir sugar and cornstarch together in a bowl. Gradually add milk. then add in eggs and stir until completely combined.
2. microwave bowl for 30 secs. Remove from microwave and stir. Do this for 35, 40,45,55 secs removing to stir after each interval. be careful of poofing cream. do this until the mixture is boiling hawt!
3. Stir in butter and vanilla. Then cool.
Ingredients: For chocolate glaze
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cocoa
1 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat butter and water til boiling. Add cocoa and stir.
2. Add powdered sugar gradually with a whisk til combined. Add vanilla.