You guys know what I’m talking about right?
The sandwich that smooshes all the insides out when you take a bite..
The burger that drips grease and mayo down your wrists..
The cookie with so many fixins’ that it leaves a bajillion crumbs on the front of your shirt..
… the perfect delicious mess.
I’m going to introduce a cake that is so messy that you will need a fork AND a spoon to eat it.
The molten lava cake.
And it all starts with this
Hmm, this cake looks a bit bare, let’s do some of this:
Mmm, much better.
Now do this.
When you’re finished, your plate should look something like this:
(I won’t judge if you lick your plate, it’s part of cake eating etiquette. That’s why I didn’t need a spoon.)
Leave your plate in the sink. Someone else will wash it for you eventually.
Molten Lava Cake
5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 Tbsps cocoa powder
5 Tbsps butter (salted or unsalted), plus extra for ramekins
pinch salt (omit of using salted butter)
1/3 cup or 3 large egg whites
2 Tbps sugar, plus extra for dusting ramekins
Powdered sugar for top of cakes
Raspberries for top of cakes
1. Grease 4 ramekins with butter and then coat with sugar, set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F
3. Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl over a pot of simmering water to create a double boiler. Once the water is simmering, turn off the heat and allow the chocolate to melt. Microwave method: place chocolate in large bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted.
4. Whisk in cocoa powder, butter and salt (if using) until the mixture is smooth.
5. In a dry and grease free bowl, whip egg whites until foamy then add in sugar slowly. Whip until soft-medium peaks can hold.
6. Mix 1/3 of egg whites into chocolate mixture.
7. Fold in 1/3 egg whites into chocolate mixture.
8. Gently fold in rest of egg whites. Don’t want to over mix, otherwise you’ll lose the light and airy texture.
9. Fill ramekins about 1/2 full. Bake for about 8-11 minutes. This part is tricky, I suggest you test with one cake first.
10. Allow cake to cool for a bit, then invert onto a plate. Top with raspberries and dust with powered sugar.
Source: Zoe Bakes